søndag den 26. april 2009

Learning new content




Welcome to Ulduar. We love you.



So we (like most raiding guilds) have taken our first baby-steps into Ulduar this week.

And its been a blast.

- A little setup:

Because I've given up on tv (except 'House' on dvd) I have enough free time to spend my evenings in 3 different raidgroups. Yep 3.

We are a mostly casual-pro raiding guild, so our main 25 manned raids are only 3 nights a week. Which leaves me plenty of time to enjoy two other raidgroups; 10 manned weekend mornings on my death knight, and 10 manned weekend evenings on my Disc priest.

First lets have a look see on how Ulduar is from this DKs perspective.



"Its great."


Okay maybe a bit longer answer.


"Its really great."

Yea allright I stop now, its a blast. In our raid currently there seem to be a semi-shortage of tanks. Or at least enough of a shortage that i've gotten to main-tank. Both in 10 and in 25. And lemme tell ya, its scary like hell.

The other tanks are (amongst a couple) a very experienced warrior, and our raidleader who seems to know everything.

And im not sucking up or anything (i doubt he even reads this... then again, the man knows everything), its just eery how he can /w me on sarth 3d attemps (this was when his death knight was level 60, its 80 now and with gear that competes mine) and say "Hey Redux, are you sure that diseaseless blood is really working for you? could you try and respecc back to dualwielding forst/uh and see how that compares please?"


... Allright, this was not put all that nicely, but we where struggeling, and I know he meant it well. All I could think at the time was "how did you know that??" (yea and ofc it worked).

Back on track. Theese guys are good tanks. Im new.
So I was scared. As a matter of fact, I had thought I would be doing DPS in 25 and only tanking in our 10 manned group (more on that later). But here I was on a thursday evening looking at our MT list, and staring at my name on the 3rd position.

Now the good news was that our MT, lets call him 'Sigh' (He will get it), who is a great raider -never afraid to tell people they suck, and never ever afraid to say "I screwed up" or say like he did on this thursday evening: "what the hell is this?, theres battletanks and choppers, what do I do?".


What is so great about that?

Well for a scared little Dwarf Death Knight, there is no better sound in the world, than the 'you are not alone' sound. Only difference between me and Sigh, was, that he had 4 years of tanking experience behind him - I had 4 months.

He didn't know diddly about what was comming -I had read severel guides in depth.


In my world, that evens us out.


And that really helped me a lot, on that thursday evening.


The reason why I had read so many guides, where not because I wanted to be all that I could be for the guild. It was for completely selfish reasons. I knew I would miss our first 10 manned morning raids, beeing stuck at work. So I had done what I thought was a helpfull sideline bit, to prove myself worthy of my new rank as organizer of theese raids. So I had read up and posted the best part of most guides to the first half of Ulduar, that where available. In an attempt to say

"Hey look guys, im helping!".

So there we where, in the first time in what seemed like forever, looking at something new. Something that we didnt know what was, and something we had never tried to do anything like. What a great way to try and work in that Epic feeling of new content. A gimmick first fight, that forces the raiders to do new things and not just have the tanks tank, the healers heal, and the dps try not to stand in hot/cold/green stuff.

So that part worked well. 5 minutes of complete chaos in driving down and destrying everything we saw. Untill the boss came.

Too bad he was such a pushover on easy. Without knowing anymore than the basics of the vehicles, we one-shotted him.

All of a sudden Ulduar seemed very less Epic, very less scary and kindda a bore. Then came Razorscale. That took us a whole night to kill him (and now we get to the point of this post) because we had all forgotten how to learn new content.

Gone where the quick adaptation of our raiders. Gone where the "hey lets try this" ideas. Everything had grinded to a halt. It really took forever once we had the strat down, to actually kill the dragon. And that was only because I got yelled into tanking him at 10% with two adds on me, blowing every cooldown I had and... praying. (dodge is great)



So we had finally gotten our brains into work, and our team-muscles flexed, and then we hit the x002. Such a simple fight. such a straightforward thing.
But whoa, how well tuned was that mofo? Dps (especcially ranged) needs to be very on their toes. As melee dps this fight is about burning cooldowns at the right time, and really beeing able to burst on the heart. As ranged, you need to hit that sweet spot between nuking his heart way to little and switching to kill the adds too late -preferably not doing both.

So that was another funfilled raid that went into that. And I dont really feel like talking about Ignis. We chose to take every boss, and not just the ones that where killed with lots o guides and where doable. We took on Ignis, and it wasnt pretty. At all. (edit: we came back and took him, in what can only be described as our guilds cleanest first kill ever on our 2nd or 3rd try that evening).


Comming up next: my two 10 manned raidgroups first week in Ulduar, and how very different those two groups are.

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar