fredag den 17. april 2009

The forgotten baby

Or how everything any other toon you create ever does, will never ever be as exciting.

Reading this post from Larísa in her pink pigtail inn, I first wanted to write a comment, but it ended up beeing so long that I decided to post it here instead. Then once in a blue moon ill spam her and force her to read it, and get her, and her little fans to come over here aswell, muahhahahahaa... Oh sorry bout that. I think The mighty Jingles promises to me over at "Pew Pew lazers!" has affected me a wee bit :)

Aaaanyways, Larïsa wonders about whether or not her seond toon to reach the highest level in the game (aka endgame aka 80 aka "lolwut-u-ish80-u-RliekA-no-lifer" aka stfu) will her feelings towards this second toon be the same. Will the thrills of leveling up feel as good? will the dungeons be as enticing? Will rep-grinding be... well the same?
The short answer: no
the long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
(seriously go watch Zero punctuation, I've told you before)

She compares it to having a second child. Will there be enough love for both of them? Yes. Love doesnt split it multiplies. -she claims.
And she is dead on. Don't get me wrong i love all my toons equally, and i think its a great analogy, so lets stick with it, shall we?
All you parents out there with more than one kid. All you siblings out there with same sex siblings (prob also those with a different sex sibling) do me a favour. Go through the family photos. Look at the baby pictures. "Look at the newborn" -pictures. the "first hour old" -pictures, the "3 hours old" -pictures. The "oh he blinked for the first time" -pictures. The....
Oh wait sorry.
Only the oldest sibling has those. For the youngest its more like: "born" -pictures, "walking" -pictures, "beeing carried by the older one" -pictures and.. I dunno, "Married" -pictures.

Get where im going with this? For every 50 pictures taken of the eldest there are somewhere around 1 of the second in line. And if you are third in line.. PFF you are lucky to have that!

How does this convert to wow? Hardly anything a 2ndery toon does is as exciting.
Larîsa does not agree though: "And the instances don’t only offer upgrades again; they offer a challenge too!"
-Thats because you are a mage, in a world without sheeps. Everything will be a challenge on a new toon!!
... Is that the evul Death knight part of me taking hold? maybe, because that wasnt a very fair nor nice comment.

Sorry.

I have a Death knight tank as my main. A disc healer as my secondary and a BM hunter on the prowl (no pun intended) for instances aswell. And Walking into Ulduar with my priest, will never ever hold the same sway over me as it did yesterday. Never.
And once i get to go with my hunter, somewhere down the line, that will also be a very much "been there done that" moment. It isnt new anymore. Sure you can gear up. but i pitty people who only do instances to gear up. Everything new and fresh is gone. It would be like watching your favorite movie but every scene was filmed in a new angle. Its kindda new and interesting, but you still know that Brad pitt is really a figment of his imagination, and no wierd angle is gonna change that. It may be fun to watch once or twice. Hell even slap on some commentaries (did you know that the stuntman taking that horrible fall down the stairs, had to do it 18 times with no padding, and they still picked the first shot!) to spice things up. But that doesnt make for lasting fun. Not like the first 18 views in its normal way did.
Before i loose myself completly in this analogy, lemme just add some encouraging words.
There is still lots of fun to be had with your toons. Just dont have the same expectations that you have with your main/first borne.
try out some pvp, go fishing. Have one of them only to be used for dugeons when you are silly drunk with friends who are just like that (hello team "daddy naxx" friday evening raiders, my shield is all over him IN DA FACE) whenever they have time for you. But dont try and run the secondary toon down the same line as the first one.


They are different entities and if you let them, they will suprice you in ways you never thought possible.
For example it might stumble over a pwettykitty and tame it, giving you the ability to seriously piss off the cat-loving-all-around-nice-guy-bm-hunter who had been chasing that thing for months.


As the emo-con says: Sorry for teasing you so much about that. But I had too much fun :D
No need to embarras him further by mentioning who it was. Lets just leave it at this little story:

The following day, guess what i found wandering the forrest of the basin once again? Yes same little rare kitty.
The hunter in mention was online. So i told him that the kitty was there. Alive and everything. (Seriously why make killing the hottest hunter pet an achievement??)... The hunter /afk's out of his BG, and starts sprinting his little merry way towards me. Meanwhile guild chat and /p chat was filled to the brim with him asking "is it still there? has anyone found it yet??? is it still alive??" and me reassuring him that yes, kitty is alive and well. -Rest of the guild are enjoying themselves very much so.
After 10 minutes he is almost there when i get a /w "oh Sh** you need to be BM to get it, its excotic isnt it?" I tell him "yes". "F%&¤ that [guild shaman] for convincing me to go arena as survival yesterday". And then this so sweet, and gentle and very nice guy (in caps) throws out a caskade of swearing in /guildchat.
I add: /g 'guess who isnt able to tame the kitty'
And everyone laughs.
But not our hunter. He lands with a "¤"#¤%& KITTY KILLITSOI GET MY ACHIIEVE AT LESST" [spelling intended on my part, he was upset]

We kill it.

He spends 2 minutes /mourning its death and hearthstones.
Everyday i fly over the basin i have my /target macro searching for that kitty for you mate.


So there you have it. You can still have memorable moments with the toons that arent your 'firstborne', they just wont be of you tanking Razorscale with 3 adds on you for the first guild-kill :) They will be epic in a different way, but no less epic.

Also this weekend; no lags in Ulduar, i promise you all.

3 kommentarer:

  1. Haha, you labeled this "making fun of Larisas"! I feel honoured! Honestly I loved this post and no one will be happier than me if my readers jump over to you. I don't know why you haven't made it into my linklist yet.. Or wait I do - you've been posting as regularly as I wish... Anyway I'm sure you will from now on, deal? :)

    And yes... first time IS special... I was in Ulduar yesterday, oh my god. Why can't I be a no-lifer, raiding every night... :( Now I'll have to wait until tuesday again... plaing a bit with my rogue in the middle of the night maybe. But that isn't quite the same.

    SvarSlet
  2. Actually i labelled it "making fun of Larísa's i"
    the accent changes everytime you get mentioned! Thats the kind of detail you get for inspiring me to make a post :)

    And i promise scouts honour and everything that i will post more often. I assume that "you've been posting as regularly as I wish" is a tope-o and not just a very very weird form of flatter.

    "I see you just as regularly as i'd like to see you" Ill try that on the missus when I get home, im sure she will love compliments like that :D

    SvarSlet
  3. Oh, My error! I meant the opposite. There was a "not" missing. You've been soooo lazy. But no excuses for that anymore! If you don't know what to write about you can always make fun of me... Shouldn't be too hard. :)

    SvarSlet